Martin is a senior Financial and Operations executive with over 16 years of experience including restructuring, turnaround management, strategic advisory, distressed workouts, cost-reduction programs, due diligence, performance improvement and reporting, working capital and liquidity management, mergers and acquisitions, liquidations and business wind downs, financial controlling and interim management.
Martin has delivered value enhancing solutions to companies/debtors, creditors, lenders and equity stakeholders across industries that include Oil & Gas, Aerospace, Advanced Manufacturing, Steel and Alloy products, Real Estate, Retail, Healthcare and Higher Education.
Martin has served in various financial advisor roles in distressed and/or complex situations, including:
- Financial advisor to a $20B building and refrigeration company in the planning, execution and monitoring of winding down an unprofitable business unit with approximately 200 impacted employees and a global footprint of R&D and manufacturing facilities. The engagement successfully resulted in targeted cost savings with minimal impact on the remaining organization.
- Financial advisor to a world-leading aerospace company in the financial assessment, negotiation support and claim valuation with respect to non-performing supplier of critical components with an estimated go-forward purchase volume of $2B.
- Financial advisor to a State Board of Higher Education in the assessment, modeling and scenario analysis of all 24 state universities and community colleges in the wake of COVID19. The engagement included multiple interactions with institution-level leaderships and resulted in a dynamic scenario model with the objective to guide the State Board on identifying potential liquidity shortfalls in the upcoming school year under various scenario parameters.
- M&A and financial advisor to a global aerospace company in the $4B acquisition of a South American manufacturer with the purpose to broaden product portfolio and gain access to incremental R&D capacity.
- Financial advisor to a $100B+ retail company with the purpose to improve accuracy of daily cash forecasting. The project included current state assessment, reorganization of procedures, development and implementation of new forecasting tools. The engagement ultimately resulted in significant improvement of the forecasting precision allowing the company to reduce its dependency (and associated interest costs) on its revolving credit facilities.
- Financial advisor to several West Coast biotech and life science companies. Provided an assessment of assumptions for long-term revenue outlook for individual therapies based on aggregation of third-party data (clinical data, market studies, FDA approval status, etc.); review of revenue projection models; and review of valuation assumptions and financial projections for Purchase Price Allocation valuations for acquisitions and contingency-based earnouts.
- Financial advisor to a large pharmacy retailer, including improvement of treasury cash flow forecasting processes and tools, delivering forecast accuracy enhancements resulting in decreased dependency on Revolving Credit Facilities. Assisted in the wind-down of two under-performing business units, managing inventory disposal and supplier management/communication activities.
- Financial advisor to a regional Hospital system in the high-level assessment of the tentative acquisition of a distressed regional hospital, including primarily real estate assets, facility leases and personnel considerations.
Prior to joining Mackinac Partners, Martin served as Senior Director in EY-Parthenon’s Turnaround & Restructuring Strategy practices in Dallas and Stockholm where he led and managed many distressed advisory, turnaround, restructuring, business assessment and performance improvement engagements for key clients. Martin also led audit support engagements including providing going concern, impairment test, and purchase price allocation assessments in complex audit engagements.
Martin also previously served as Financial Controller and CFO for Vinovo AB (now Nordic Flanges Group AB), a Sweden-based Nasdaq Stockholm-listed investment company engaged in the acquisition and management of small and medium-sized enterprises, including Nordic Flanges AB, Ferral Components Oy and Ferral Alucast Oy. The portfolio companies focus on the manufacturing of flanges and fittings in different types of steel and special alloys, as well as the design, engineering and production of exchangers, pressure vessels, containers and other production equipment.
As Controller and CFO, Martin managed financial and accounting operations and assisted in six acquisitions including valuations, due diligence and financing. Martin also assisted in the company’s out of court restructuring, including debt re-negotiation with lenders, implementation of a cost reduction program and securing an equity infusion.
Martin earned a Master of Science in Accounting and Finance from the Stockholm School of Economics in Stockholm. He also holds a Master of Science in Physics from Stockholm University and a Bachelor of Arts in Theology from Uppsala University in Uppsala, Sweden. He is a Member of Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors and is currently pursuing CIRA certification.View Other Professionals