Kam is a Managing Director with more than 27 years of financial advisory, restructuring, turnaround, performance improvement and supply chain experience. He has served in senior roles representing key stakeholders including companies/debtors, Boards, commercial banks, asset-based lenders, private equity firms, and creditor committees across industries that include healthcare, construction and building materials, manufacturing, chemicals, energy, government, transportation and distribution, B2B commerce, food and beverage and sports and recreation.
Kam has extensive health care experience and has served in key management and interim management leadership roles, including:
- Senior Vice President of Business Transformation at Interfaith Medical Center, Inc., Brooklyn, New York where he worked with the CEO, CFO and Board to improve operational and financial performance, led efforts to right size operations, upgraded electronic medical records, payroll and accounting systems, and helped address regulatory deficiency matters.
- Interim CFO for ArrayBio Inc., San Diego, California where he provided financial management for a start-up biopharmaceutical company focused on acquiring and developing a Phase III-ready immunotherapy asset. Kam developed five-year business plan models and financial projections based on prospective acquisitions and licenses, developed and marketed CIM’s, investment thesis, diligence, and supporting documentation for potential investors and partners, and helped develop post-funding clinical, operational, and financial action plans.
- Vice President of Finance & Operations at Milford Health & Medical, Inc., Milford, Connecticut where he managed day to day financial and operational functions and performance improvement for a community hospital with a home care agency, captive insurance company, and medical office buildings.
- Financial advisor to the Senior Lender Group of a distressed regional cancer treatment center with declining revenues and over $250 million of debt. Kam assessed the center’s business plan, financial performance and cash flow projections, developed strategic options and financial and operational impact analysis, and assisted in negotiations between the lender group and company, formulating a successful financial and operational restructuring solution for stakeholders.
- Restructuring advisory to the senior lender group of a home healthcare staffing business with over $200 million of debt, including assessing and developing solutions for critical liquidity problems, in-depth analysis of operational issues, working with management to address company’s governmental and regulatory obligations, performing enterprise valuation of the core business, and negotiating with the company’s private equity sponsor for a successful out-of-court restructuring of operations and the balance sheet.
Kam has also provided financial advisory to clients across the manufacturing and materials sectors, including:
- Restructuring advisory to the senior lender group of a national home building materials distributor and contractor with $550 million of debt, including balance sheet and restructuring advisory, analyses of a debt- for-equity swap vs. sale of company, negotiating a pre- packaged bankruptcy plan, coordinating DIP and exit financing terms and pricing, and working with management and the Board to ensure a successful reemergence from bankruptcy.
- Financial advisory to an international chemicals manufacturer in addressing critical liquidity problems, including implementing approximately $20 million in manufacturing cost reductions, advising on the reorganization of its multi-national treasury operations and re-negotiating credit terms with its largest customer, resulting in an $18 million reduction in seasonal working capital requirements.
- Financial advisory to a private equity firm regarding their stake in a multi-national medical equipment manufacturer, including the assessment of financial performance, business plan projections, operational processes and other due diligence items related to the proposed investment thesis.
- Turnaround advisory to the senior secured lender of a construction contractor including viability of the business, assessment of management capabilities and achievability of the company’s turnaround plan.
- Financial advisory to the commercial bank to a large regional insulation contractor regarding the wind-down and liquidation of business assets, assisting the court-appointed Receiver with lender, creditor, customer and vendor negotiations, ensuring maximum recovery for all stakeholders.
Kam also provided turnaround advisory to a national beverage company including the assessment and reduction of manufacturing costs through operational improvements, development of a turnaround business plan, and an out-of-court restructuring of more than $100 million of senior secured debt, including negotiations with the lender and key customers and suppliers.
Kam provided turnaround and bankruptcy advisory to the senior lender syndicate of a major Quick Service Restaurant franchisee with $250 million of senior debt including assessing the viability of the company’s business and turnaround plans, performing an in-depth analyses of corporate, regional and local-level operations and collateral, assessing DIP and exit financing requirements and negotiating a successful pre-packaged bankruptcy solution.
Kam provided operational performance improvement advisory to a private equity stakeholder for a national health gym chain with a billion dollars in revenues, identifying over $40 million in cost reductions and developing a roadmap of actionable items for new company management to ensure successful implementation of identified improvements.
Kam advised the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of the largest operator of truck travel centers in North America, assessing viability of the company’s business, the plan of reorganization, weekly cash flow needs, and the impact of proposed asset sales on the Committee’s potential recovery.
Kam assisted management and the Board of Directors of an e-commerce B2B software company with development of divisional strategic business plans, capital investment and cash flow forecasts.
Kam provided financial advisory to the senior secured lender group of an international oilfield services business to address liquidity problems, including performing an in-depth analysis of the company’s operations and corporate overhead costs, debt-for-equity swap options, negotiating DIP and exit financing terms, leading to a negotiated pre-packaged bankruptcy solution with 100% recovery for client.
Kam provided turnaround and bankruptcy advisory to an international Waste-to-Energy Company with $750 million of senior debt including development of a turnaround strategy, reorganization of operations, corporate overhead cost reductions and the sale of non-core assets. Kam also assisted management with the development of a DIP budget and assisted in negotiations with the company’s secured lender group, customers and vendors on the implementation of a successful pre-packaged bankruptcy solution.
Kam provided divestiture monitoring services to the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) related to a merger, including divestiture of a major technology manufacturing division based in the US. Kam served as a liaison with the FTC, the merging companies and potential acquirers of divesture business, ensuring all parties adhered to the terms of the FTC’s “hold-separate” ruling. Kam also provided divestiture and monitoring services to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US (CFIUS) related to a Chinese technology company purchase of a US-based hardware company.
Prior to joining Mackinac Partners, Kam served as a Managing Director with ToneyKorf Partners LLC, a boutique management and advisory firm, and was based in Los Angeles, California where he managed significant business transformation, restructuring and turnaround projects for leading clients. Kam also previously served as a Managing Director, Corporate Advisory and Restructuring Services for Grant Thornton LLP in Southern California.
Kam also previously served in several key roles for financial management and restructuring firms including: Director, Financial Advisory for Loughlin Management Partners and Company in New York; Director, Corporate Restructuring for Arthur Andersen LLP / Huron Consulting LLC in New York; Senior Financial Analyst for Chiron Corporation, San Francisco, California; Manager, Business Consulting for Tucker Alan Inc. in San Francisco; and Analyst, Retail Banking Group of Wells Fargo Bank in San Francisco.
Kam earned a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the University of Missouri in St. Louis and a Master of Business Administration from Saint Louis University. He is a Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor (CIRA) and Member of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors. Kam is also a former Treasurer and Board Member for the Turnaround Management Association, Northern California Chapter, and currently serves on the TMA National Annual Conference Planning Committee.View Other Professionals